Nukariik Represents at RWMF 2016

I would actually go as far as calling it a theme for this year's Rainforest World Music Festival - but this is my own opinion. I counted 4 vocally-centered performers, and two-and-a-third (because Epi is part of a trio and) of them are throat singers. Each, however, has their own style and unique background that makes the variety all the more interesting.

In this entry, I would like to focus on sisters Karin and Kathy Kettler. Together they form Nukariik, and coming from the Inuit Tribe. The both flew (on separate flights, one of which significantly longer than the other) from Canada to bring their Inuit throat singing, a little bit of drumming and a little game to the Rainforest World Music Festival Theatre Stage.

If you've read my previous post on RWMF'16 Highlights here, then you'll know how little time I had to prepare, do some Googling, listen to some of the performers music and decide on which workshop to go to. Nukariik was a simple choice - it's a must.

On two occasions throughout the festival I had the chance to sit and talk with the sisters (or one of them - Karin I think; over dinner at the performer's and media area) and they are both so humble, so down to earth and so genuine. Their heritage is from the Kangiqsualujjuaq, Nunavik, in northern Quebec - and I was told if I want to visit, middle of the year is probably best as it's not as cold as the rest of the year.

(From a guy that has spent his whole life in the tropics, your definition of cold is probable equal to mine freezing even before landing! LOL)

When asked about the origins of the Inuit throat singing, the sisters took turns explaining that it had begun as a pastimes and were inspired by the sounds that they hear all around them. Normally sang between two ladies while the men go hunting, the songs are loosely simple and rhythmic, consisting of one or more syllable or sound on the breath out, and another on a breath in. Harmonizing these simple rhythm produces an complex and sophisticated structure, and more often than not really represents what they are singing about.


Case and point: The Saw.
It really does sound like a saw going back and forth on a log!


Another song that was equally captivating was the Song for Our Father. Also note that the duo likes to compete going back-and-forth trying to throw each other off the melody; and as a result almost all of their songs accellerando until one of them ran out of breath or burst into laughter.

It's also very endearing to see such sisterly bond brought on-stage as they perform, and it does stay true to the root of the Inuit throat singing as well I presume - to bring people closer together.


Song for Our Father
Do you recognize the melody? Comment if you do! 


What had captivated me most was the song about the Inukshuk, a monument made of raw stones that has multiple purposes. I guess back in the days when the land was so vast, travelling from one point to another is a challenge and whenever they can they will leave inuksuit (the plural form of inukshuk) to point to a direction or places where there is food. Sometimes inuksuit are erected as a monument to a loved ones too.


Inukshuk
Along with English translation!

Later in the day as I caught up with a fellow blogger (Lindy, show yourself please) once again I met the sisters at the Doodle wall! By then my camera had died and we were so engaged in conversation that we forgot to snap photos together! They even gave me a copy of the Canada's Inuit Youth Magazine before we part ways.

Maybe we can learn something out of this.

They're in Inuit language, I think.
Luckily there is an English translation too. 

I've compiled the videos that I shot during their performance at this year's Rainforest World Music Festival into a YouTube playlist here. Enjoy it, and don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to my channel, press that LIKE button and SHARE it to all your friends and family.




Ladies, it had been a pleasure meeting you both. All the best in your next performances.


1 comment :

  1. Great insight, and very good videos, well done Khairool!!

    ReplyDelete