Merdeka Palace Brings Ramadhan Buffet


While it is always recommended to exercise modesty during the month of Ramadhan, it is not wrong once in a while to enjoy the offerings around you. One of such enjoyments is to break the fast at Merdeka Palace Hotels and Suites. Kuchinglite is more than familiar with the name, but just in case, Merdeka Palace Hotels and Suites is located at the heart of Kuching, facing the grand Padang Merdeka. Among other landmarks are the Museum, Plaza Merdeka and, most importantly for muslims who wants to catch up on the tarawih prayer, Masjid Bahagian.

This year could possibly the grandest Ramadhan Buffet by Merdeka Palace. Instead of the resident restaurant, the Ristorante Beccari, the buffet this year has been moved to Level 3 Grand Ballroom! Operating in an instant kitchen fashion, a wider variety of dishes is served, one or two will definitely be to the fancy of your taste buds.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the buffet a couple nights ago by Irene and James of Merdeka Palace, along with fellow bloggers Lindy and Brian.

For starters, the Ramadhan buffet offers fresh dates (yes, those on stems - I prefer them over honeyed or preserved) and sweets in forms of local kuih-muih. That's the best way to break your fast and 'wake' your tummy after a whole day of fasting.

For drinks, quite a variety is also up for offer - Teh Tarik, made fresh at the drinks bar, bandung (rose or grenadine syrup with condensed milk), sugarcane, soya bean and plain water on the side. I held back and had myself a glass of teh tarik as I ate through my food and washed them down completely with bandung so I couldn't say much about the sugarcane, soya bean and the rest.

Probably the most recommended item on the buffet are the pizza (they do change and rotate every night), the roasted corner (which I - for whatever reason - forgot to photo! There was a whole lamb carved on the spot by the chef and my goodness it was so tender!) and roti John (a kind of oblong sandwich with egg, chicken or beef, salad and tomato dressed with mayonnaise and chilli sauce). Of course I tried all of them!

Another favourite of mine is Lok-Lok, also a nice variety at Merdeka Palace Ramadhan Buffet. Lok-Lok is a variant of the steamboat/hotpot meal, except that the food served is skewered and the skewered food is dipped into a hot boiling pot of water to be cooked. This is then dipped into a variety of sauces provided for you. Pick ones or twos (go ahead pick more if you want) on your plate and hand it over to the chef, tell him/her do you want to have them boiled or fried, and enjoy!

Dessert is where I missed out most. Having not eaten for the whole day, I cannot shock my body by loading on food so I went for what is most special in Merdeka Palace - the home made ice cream. I cannot begin to tell you how soft, moist and flavourful each bite is. It melts in your mouth like velvet, definitely one that you cannot not try! Sprinkle some almonds on it and voila, your dining experience at Merdeka Palace is complete!

If you ask me, I would definitely come again to the Ramadhan Buffet by Merdeka Palace Hotels and Suites. I do think, and don't quote me on this, that they accept walk-ins, but like any other place, I'm sure they would appreciate you calling ahead for reservation. The number to call is +60 82-258 000. Send me a shoutout if you've been there or planning to go!

  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription

2 comments :