Ingress : Safety is Numero Uno!

Respect, Relax, Respond. That is my most general motto. I've had the most unfortunate turn of event playing Ingress one night. I was at the Kuching Waterfront area. On any night, the crowd would be buzzing from between 6 to 11pm. I got there at about 8. It was drizzing a little bit, which was probably why the usual crowd was scarce. Even the buskers along the pavement sat and talked in their groups instead of singing their hearts out. 

I planned to make a couple of rounds of hacks that night. Halfway through, I was stopped by a random guy who wreaked of alcohol. I don't remember doing anything that attracts attention to myself. I didn't have my earphones as I fear I might miss any sound that alerts me of danger, I kept my phone in my hand and eyes up ahead where I was going. Somehow this drunk guy zeroed in on me and began asking question after question and repeating them in random orders. 

This is where I messed up tho. I should've left the scene promptly. I lingered long enough for his group of friends to catch up. I pocketed my phone and fished my car keys out in case I needed to protect myself. God knows being huddled by 5 drunk guys at night while it's drizzling, I fear my own safety. 

What went on in my head there and then was where is the nearest group of people, hopefully sober and helpful. If I needed to protect myself, I'll use the keys for weapon. If I need to run, where is the best direction. Lucky me a group of patrols passed by and no violence occurred. Still, that taught me a lesson. 

Keep yourself safe. Respect your environment, know the dangers and evaluate the need of self-preservation. Relax. Keep a cool mind. Calm down and control yourself. Finally, respond to the changes in your environment accordingly. Do not resort to violence unless if really necessary. 

And as a general rule, I can't emphasize on this any less, keep yourself safe!

2 comments :

  1. I can't say that I've been as cautious as I should in my late night hacking. I usually wait until after the drunks left the bar but before the worker bees start their commute.

    I have gotten to know & respect the homeless population in my neighborhood. They know my name, I know theirs. They already know that I will give when I have something to give. So they don't even ask me for anything. It could very well be a different environment in your neighborhood. I feel that if something did happen to me by an unknown that the locals would help. I could be wrong too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never be too careful these days. I guess it's on to trust your locals, afterall if the situation is reversed you would probably come to help as well.

      Delete