P. Ramlee : The Musical

It has been four decades since the legendary P. Ramlee left us - but his legacy still lives on. Much of the fan I am, I admit I know next to nothing about the life of this icon in our performance industry, and this is but one and maybe the only time I have to learn a little bit out the journey that P. Ramlee traveled to become legendary as he is today. Having sat next to a bunch of veteran fans who interjected mildly with comments, I felt a little envious to the fact that they are true fans of P. Ramlee, elaborating the representation and re-enactment of P. Ramlee's life events that could not be shown on stage. On some scenes, I saw some of them probably half-in-tears, their crushed handkerchief in their palms - totally absorbed in the performance. Afterall, we've seen his movies - but to be witnessing the representation of his life's journey is a totally new experience, and for them that is as close as they can ever be to their idol. 

The stars : (from left) Tiara Jacquelina, Tony Eusoff,
Elly Mazlein and Nadia Aqilah Baiduri.
P. Ramlee : The Musical, now in it's forth run, was shown at the Borneo Convention Center Kuching for two nights - September 9 and 10. The new cast line-up featured Sarawak's very own Tony Eusoff as P. Ramlee, Nadia Aqilah Baiduri as first wife Junaidah and Elly Mazlein as third wife Saloma. Datin Sri Tiara Jacquelina herself, as the executive producer also plays the role of the second wife, Norizan. The musical itself is part of a five day tribute to P. Ramlee, also in conjunction with the celebration of Sarawak's 50th Independance Day Celebration, and includes a concert by Indonesia's violin maestro Idris Sardi.

Highlights in the programme book
The musical portrays the life of P. Ramlee particularly how he began in the art and performing industry in Penang. He was first offered a role as a clapper boy and background singer in Jalan Ampas, Singapore by BS Rahjans for Shaw Brothers. His migration from Penang to Singapore opens up a whole new opportunity in the industry. 

 His climb towards fortune and fame in Singapore was due to his incredible ability to not only sing and act, but also in writing lyrics, composing melodies, script writing and directing. His natural talent led to his success and was well known as an entertainer and an exceptional artist throughout Asia. 

No journey come without pain and sacrifice. His first marriage with Junaidah did not last. The marriage failed because fame and fortune was too much for Junaidah to handle as she would rather have her husband and a simple life than the lifestyle of artists with the media always scrutinizing their life. After that came Norizan, the second wife whom embraced the life of fame and fortune - but P. Ramlee was far too absorbed with work  and Norizan socializing with her friends caused rumors affairs, lies and deceit. 

The stars, ticket and banner
The third and last marriage with Saloma was portrayed as hitting the balance between work and family, and was probably the cheekiest most clever bit of the whole musical! As Tony Eusoff and Elly Mazlein acted their wooing scenes on stage, the audience went "ooooohh" and "aaaaahhh" and "yeerrrrr.. ingga ku nangga!" (all in good humour - you HAVE to know Sarawak dialect to understand the last bit there). Even the makcik (aunts) sitting around me had their melatah (hyperstartle response? I can't find the English translation for this word and hyperstartle response is the closest that I can get) moments at the cheeky scenes playing on stage. I would like to know if P. Ramlee and Saloma did call each other Remy and Sally respectively, or is it just icing on the cake for the musical. Still, very cheeky and clever indeed!!

Some of the exhibitions and part of the musical
What touched my heart most was at the end when the montaj tribute to P. Ramlee was rolling, I could hear the faint sobbing of the aunts and grandmas to my left, dabbing tears away from their eyes with their crumpled hanky or tissue. The loss of such a great artist, even if it was forty years ago, must've been heartfelt to them. 

To me, Tony Eusoff played an awesome role as P. Ramlee (althought I have nothing to compare it against). It was a great show, well deserved for a huge icon that is P. Ramlee. I never knew he (Tony) can sing that well, but as he sang Hujan di Tengah Hari, Engkau Laksana Bulan and Getaran Jiwa, I felt goosebumps! Datin Sri Tiara Jacquelina and Elly Mazlein was just as powerful - singing the musical original A Marriage Falls Apart and the evergreen Di Mana Kan Ku cari Ganti

The set was also AH-MAY-ZING!!! Being my first musical, I thought the stage was small while the side stage too big, but as the sets and props rolled in I was all open-jawed at much of the effort and details that went into the design. It was nothing short of amazing!


Credits :

  • To Mina and Anthony for giving me a ticket in the first place! Sorry I did not sit with you guys cuz I had my brothers with me.  
  • To friends Naydee and Lydia for sharing some of the pictures you guys took. 
  • To brothers T-man and Lupi, for being a great company! And Faizin and Bang Fitri too during the first half of the musical! 
  • The makcik and grandmas sitting around me for sharing the anecdotes of P. Ramlee's life - truly you all are real fans!







4 comments :

  1. I must say its good production..sadly can't enjoyed much as we hardly see (floor level stage) and poor view of the projector screen..i hope to watch it again next time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap I agree. The projector quality leaves much to be desired, but the musical itself was fantastic! Thanks again for the ticket! Sorry I couldn't sit with you guys cuz I had my brothers with me.

      Delete
  2. yes, they did call each other sally and remy :) a little trivia, during workshop, the title of this musical was My Name Is Remy

    sukardi

    ReplyDelete